Yesterday I had my yearly physical exam.
Complete with PAP.
Wonderful.
A nurse practitioner student who was shadowing my doctor performed the beginning of my exam. Nothing too serious, height, weight (blech), blood pressure, temp, etc. Then she proceeded to take my history. Or well she proceeded to ask me questions about the stuff that was already written in my chart. It was fine. She was perfectly lovely and I'm all for people learning.
In all honesty I love going to the doctor. I think it's because (knock on wood) I do not have any serious ailments. I love my physician. She is an awesome professional, seriously funny and down to earth. We chat about everything and I mean everything. Yesterday when she found out about my breakup she and I agreed that because they have a penis men think they can do whatever they wish. Nothing like some, "I am woman hear me roar action".
All that aside, I cringe when I hear the word "pap". I can barely type it without shuttering. I am well aware that there are worse things in this world to go through, but I am entitled to my opinion so here it is. PAP SMEARS ARE HORRIBLE.
Who even came up with the lingo.
Gross.
Moving on. After I left my doctors office, I grabbed a Venti Black Tea Lemonade from the 'bucks and took a seat to wait for my bus. I took out my book, (I am currently reading "You Can Run, But You Can't Hide" by the one and only Duane "Dog" Chapman). (Don't judge me people).
When this woman sat down next to me. After about 10 minutes of sitting there she started to talk to me.
"I just can't get that image out of my head"
"Excuse me?"
"I feel so guilty!"
Normally I feel like I would ignore someone trying to chat me up like this at a bus stop. But in his book, Dog talks a lot about how people are sent to you for a reason... and so well I took the bait and gave her my full attention.
She told me that she works nearby at Holiday Inn. She was fixing something in a hallway, when she heard a female screaming for what sounded like her life in a room. From what she described whatever was going on in that room was not good, not good at all. She called her manager over to try to figure out what was going on, but by the time he got there she saw the man and woman walking down the hallway and out of the hotel. I asked her if she thought she could call the police, if she had any information on that guy. All they had was his name and credit card. In my opinion that was enough.
She kept saying that the woman was no older than 19 or 20 and that she looked pretty beat up when she saw them check in. She was crying even then. The man with her was much older.
At this point I told her that she should talk to the police and maybe ask them what she could do. Because sometimes people in situations like that need help. They cannot help themselves.
She agreed.
Soon after this the bus came and our conversation ended.
During my ride home I was thinking why did this woman reach out to me, a complete stranger?
But then I remembered that people come and go into your life for a reason. This woman obviously needed to get this horrific incident off her chest and tell someone.
I hope she found my advice helpful.
3.10.2010
Advice From A Stranger
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
that's scary. It sounds like it was a good thing she found you to talk to - I hope she took your advice.
Oh god, so do I!
SO glad that you could be there to listen. I have people randomly open up to me and tell me A LOT and I always wonder why they choose me to talk to. You're right, people must come to us for a reason, whatever that reason may be. It sounds like you gave her good advice. I hope she acts on it.
Post a Comment