So a while back.... My friend Pat (referred to from now on as Pizzaman), who I do not see enough of, posted a comment on my blog and I told him that I would write a whole entry dedicated only to him. Boy was that a mistake!! Now I need to pull through! So my months of laziness come to an end today as I begin to write the epic saga that is...Pizzaman Pat! Plus he's been bothering me to write it since then--> (Pizaman: hey! from the may 17 post you said your post later today will be about me and you never wrote one, i even left a comment).
Since before I can remember, and probably since before I was born, my family has been going to this resort in the Catskill Mountains the same week every year. It was always a good time and until just recently I have been EVERY year. I mean this place had everything, a pool (with a slide until they remodeled and took it out), a game room, live music (okay so it was mostly crappy live music, but we all enjoyed it), good food.... ok you get the point. But because we went every year the same week, my family and I got really friendly with the people that also went up the same week every year. Which were a lot of people. And as the time passed, so did some of the older people that had been coming up for 100 years, and the families grew, considerably. There was also a set schedule of events that would never change for years.... For example:
Saturday night: Bobby Val Trio would play downstairs in the game room
Sunday: Always something weird that I never liked... Like some singer who worked the Catskill old people resort circuit.
Monday: BINGO night
Tuesday: Talent Show
Wednesday: The Bane "Natural Gas" Would play. They were actually a good time... as their name suggests.
Thursday: EH? I can't remember. Probably nothing fun for us kids.
Friday: THOMPSON's Night at the RACES! (Horse Races with Dice)
Now, I am sure you are all asking yourself, where prey tell good woman does Pizzaman come into play? Well I will tell you. Pizzaman and his family also came up to this place every year. Now, Pizzaman and I have discussed that while we both went up there, we didn't always hang out. See he is a little bit older than myself... well okay he's what you call an old fart (nowadays anyways... HA THATS FOR PISSING ME OFF!) So we agreed, or Pizzaman told me that the first time we started to hang out was one Friday night, after the Horse Races (see above weekly schedule). Ahh I remember the day quite well. At the end of all the races, they auction off the horses to the highest bidder and if your horse wins that final race, you win the whole pot. Which sometimes was close to $100 or more. My dad and I always bought a horse. It was great. But we never won... well atleast until that night! Earlier in the night at dinner, my father opened his melba toast and there were 3 in the packet!! I mean if that's not a sign I don't know what is!! Needless to say that night at the races we bought horse #3 and won! It was a lot of money. Atleast for a 12 year old kid it was!! So after that we went to the coffee shop at the resort and I bought all my friends milkshakes...well it was the least I could do after stealing all their money!! He tells me now that I took like 30 bucks from him... Boo hoo baby. :)
So after he enjoyed his milkshake, we became friends instantly and played sooo many games of Monopoly that I never want to play again!!
Seriously though, Pizzaman and I are still good friends, even if we don't talk as much as I would like us to. But I have invited you up here to Boston to various shows that I know you'd enjoy. You never come :(. It's cool though.
Remember the time you came out to the city with me and my friends my senior year of HS??? That night was so funny. Driving past the Yankee Store in Times Square and my friend got stopped by a cop who yelled at him... "What do you think this is FUCKING MARDI GRAS!?" Because he was honking his horn to the Let's go Yanks chant! haah do you remember that... Maybe not but I do. You were my "cousin" that day. Fun fun times.
How's your whitelung coming along? Hope it's all cleared up.
It's weird to think how much time has passed since we were just kids. Now I'm looking at Grad Schools and real jobs and well you're an old fart so you've done that a lot by now haa just kidding. If I know you well enough you're probably still working the summers at the pizza stand on the shore. Fuck if I were you I would. :)
So this entry is dedicated to my most wonderful friend. You will always be the Pizzaman to me.
Later Days
Oh yea and if you try to correct my grammar or spelling I will kill you.
8.10.2005
How a Milkshake Could Change your life forever......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
hey good news! my whitelung has been in remission for a few years now. I'm mad you and your fam never made it down the shore to dirty jerz for the best pizza on the face of the earth, but i'll get over it one day.
good memories anyway jules... i remember em all and then some, i could fill up 10 of these pages if i could!
PAT ROCKS MY SOCKS!
Post a Comment