Haddy was so kind as to bring this article to me from yesterday's Metro and I just wanted to share it with you Internet.
Sneaking A Ride on the T
Sara Jacobi
Many Boston University students are unhappy about the the MBTA's new policy to charge the standard fare for Green Line above ground service, they are willing to risk the consequences of sneaking on for a free ride.
Situated on the B line of the Green Line, Boston University's campus sprawls for more than a mile and a half and encompasses seven T stops. Many students who have always counted on a free ride across the long campus are determined to keep it that way.
Keith Gregory, 19 a freshman at Boston University said many students will opt to sneak on the train instead of paying the fare if they can get away with it. "All we are trying to do is get across campus. We're not trying to hurt anyone", Gregory said.
Sarah Bencic, 20, a sophomore at BU, said most students won't pay if they aren't forced to. "They're going to sneak on because people aren't used to paying for outbound. It is too expensive for when you just want to go a few stops", Bencic said.
At the BU East stop at 10 p.m. on Friday, MBTA personnel on the platform ordered students t board on the front of the train, and they stood in the front of the back doors forbidding the students to enter there/ Despite these efforts, many students still succeeded in sneaking on because the students jammed themselves onto the train until it was so crowded, enforcing the outbound fare seemed impossible.
MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said officials have been writing tickets, and that MBTA personnel will not put up with students trying to evade fares. "If you don't pay you don't ride; it's that simple," Pesaturo said. "We will make every effort to collect every fare. Students must be aware that if they don't pay, they will be subject to fines or even arrest".
Some students are opting to use other means of transportation, such as walking or taking taxis, in protest of the new outbound charges. Students have created groups and petitions on facebook.com denouncing the new outbound fare and offering tips for other means of transportation. Brian Fryburn, 19 a sophomore at BU said the T used to be the best option for getting across campus, but that may be changing. "We always used to take the T, but now I think a lot of students are going to walk instead". Joseph Chavez, 19, a BU student, said that if students are traveling in groups, they can split a cab ride for what would be their collective T fare price. "I was with two friends and my cab ride was $5.85, so it was actually cheaper to take a cab. I heard other people talking about it, and a lot of students aren't taking the T either".
************************************************************************************
OK. A few things about this article. I ride the B line to and from my apartment quite frequently and I can say that there are a lot of kids that are sneaking onto the back of the train at the BU stops. However, most of them do not get off a few stops later on campus. They go to their apartments in Allston or Brighton or wherever, but they stay on for a good 15 more minutes past BU. I know this because I see them. Of course as a monthly pass holder, it angers me that these brats get away with not paying every time they use the T. I pay, so why shouldn't you. If you don't want to pay then WALK. The exercise won't kill you.
A few suggestions:
1- On the E line, near Northeastern, (after Copley), you have to pay at the front of the train. Well it used to be that way when I was living over there. So if you were on the train and needed to get off, you had to go to the front of the train. That way everyone who was getting on had to go past the conductor, so they had to pay. Why don't they just do this again? What is the problem.
2. Maybe BU should provide their students with Charlie Cards at a discounted rate. Since they know that they use the T often. I mean really. But I shouldn't defend these kids because sometimes they are punks.
3. Isn't there a BU shuttle? I swear I've seen it. It looks like an MBTA bus but it says the BU-Bus on the side or something... why don't they do that.
See I can solve the worlds problem.
Maybe I should put my hat in the race for president....
Would you vote for me Internet?
1.23.2007
Very Sneaky Sneaky
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
as an employee of BU... I think that the MBTA needs to start handing out cans of whoop-ass instead of tickets.
I've also had a BC advanced studies student ask me if I'm "one of those BU people" (which I'm not, I walk to meetings and only take the T to and from work)...not the best of reputations, eh?
Post a Comment