6.21.2007

The More You Know

Sorry I haven't been around much, Internet.
But there's some exciting stuff going on in the land of "Professional Julie" (notice the quotes; as that could be an oxymoron). So hopefully within the next few weeks I can let you in on all the details.


Since I don't have very much to tell you, I will share with you a very important lesson that I learned recently from "Wiki How To".

How to Kick in a Door

Tips

  • If you think you might need to use this skill at some point, practice it a few times on safe, easy targets. This will help ensure that you don't injure yourself when attempting the real thing.
  • It can help to exhale sharply or even yell when the kick lands. This may sound a bit "cheesy," but it really does help you apply more force. A loud "HUH" or something similar will help you focus at the moment of impact.
  • If you have some practice with this kind of kick (the side kick), you can hit harder by jumping up slightly before kicking. Don't just hop up into the air - instead, rapidly draw your back foot toward the foot that is kicking and jump just before they touch. Don't do this without a few practice runs, as it is easy to fall over if you do it improperly.
  • Ramming the door with your shoulders can be less painful but just as effective.

Warnings

  • If you are not in good physical shape, do not use this method. It applies a great deal of force to the body, and should not be attempted by anyone with physical limitations.
  • Never straighten your leg all the way when doing this type of kick. Make sure your leg is still bent when your foot hits the target. Straightening your leg all the way can cause serious damage to the knee.
  • Don't try to kick down a door with a front kick (where you face the door directly and the kicking foot goes upward). Not only is this usually less effective, it is also a good way to break a few toes on the doorknob.
  • If you are in doubt as to whether you should try this, don't. If you want to build your confidence, consult a qualified martial arts teacher. You might find that it's good for more than just those times when you've locked yourself out of the house.
  • Naturally, this will damage your door and/or its frame. If you aren't willing to deal with that, you need to find another way in.
  • These instructions apply mainly to wooden doors without deadbolts. If there is a deadbolt, it takes a much harder impact and/or multiple strikes to smash the door frame. If the door and its frame are made of metal, you can forget about the whole thing, unless you happen to be Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, or Jack Bauer.

7 comments:

tarah said...

"If the door and its frame are made of metal, you can forget about the whole thing, unless you happen to be Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, or Jack Bauer."

...They left of MacGyver. But I guess he wouldn't have to resort to kicking down the door 9 times out of 10.

I heart WikiHow.

L Sass said...

Exciting things going on in the world of Professional Julie??

Has the Gap asked you to be featured in their next ad campaign??? Maybe you and Tim could swing dance a la Claire Danes and that other guy?

Julie said...

Dude. No.
The Gap is not doing anything like that.

I only work there part time.
To support my habit.

Lindsey said...

I am very excited to hear about "Professional" Julie's very "Professional" life!! Do tell!

Can you use those door kicking techniques on a soon to be sister in law? I just practiced on the door here at work and I totally fell on my ass. I'll keep practicing. haha

Dude. Why aren't you going to be in Brooklyn this weekend? My SIL is also going to be there so I could have you kick her ass and then let you buy me a drink. Peer pressure. DO IT.

Nicole P. said...

Can't wait to hear the news! And I love the last line of the door article!

And in response to your comment on my post today: HELLZ NO there will be no pictures of me dancing to the Chicken Dance at the wedding. In fact, as soon as I hear that music start I'll be making my exit to hide in the bathroom until it is over.

Anonymous said...

I love the noise part.. I'd be screaming obscenities after my foot came in contact with the door, that's for sure.

Emily said...

I am ecxited to hear the "Prefessional News".....

Also I would like to say thank you for the article on kicking in a door. This will come in handy more than you know ;) I may just start kicking in doors for the hell of it.