Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!
I hope you had a chance to drink some green beers, Guinness or Jameson this weekend... or today... the day is still young isn't it.
Today is not only St. Paddy's Day here in Boston, but it is also Evacuation Day.
And yes, Boston is all about the made up holidays during the week, where you can spend the whole day drinking and not at work. (For example)
Evacuation Day is celebrated every March 17th in Suffolk County Massachusetts to commemorate the evacuation of the city by British forces during the Revolutionary War. Schools and government offices are closed. If March 17 falls on a weekend, schools and government offices are closed on the following Monday in observance.
Coincidentally it is the same day as St. Patrick's Day, the biggest drinking day of the year.
Once I move out of Boston, I will really miss all of these holidays.
Too bad I am not a city employee.
How are you celebrating Evacuation Day??
3.17.2008
Forget Shamrocks... Muskets For All!
Labels:
Another Boston Made Up Holiday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Bt reading Wikipedia and your blog to learn MORE about Evacuation Day.
i wish i could celebrate by "evacuating" early from work, but some how i don't think the "it's evactuation day in boston" excuse will fly :)
I agree with Michelle, I would love to evacuate work and head to a bar. Granted I don't think that'll work today unfortunately.
Thank you for explaining this! I have heard several people refer to Evacuation Day and had been sitting here clueless! Which I hate, btw. So Happy Evacuation to you!
Fascinating! Unfortunately, "celebrating" is not exactly in our current vocabulary. Evacuating, however, might be just right...
I celebrated by drinking green Guinness!
http://drinksandeats.blogspot.com/2008/03/green-guinness.html
I celebrated by bitching about how long and loud the NYC St. P parade is RIGHT OUTSIDE MY OFFICE WINDOW. OMG, how many bagpipers ARE there in NYC?
I graduated college on Monday - kind of appropriate since my last name is O'Neil
Richmond needs holidays like this! WTF!
Post a Comment