It's WHIP IT UP TIME!!!
Week #1's recipe challenge called for Pasta.
So Pasta you will get.
Pasta Caprese
Recipe Courtesy of Cook's Illustrated
Ingredients:
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2-4 Teaspoons Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Small Garlic Clove, minced or pressed through a garlic press
1 Small Shallot, minced fine (about 2 tablespoons)
Table Salt and Ground Black Pepper
1 1/2 Lbs. Ripe Tomatoes, cored, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch dice
12 ounces fresh Mozzarella Cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 lb. Penne Pasta
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon sugar
* I added about 1/2 a pound of chicken breast. Because I felt I needed protein today.
1. First I obviously did all my measuring and chopping, because well it just makes it easier just to have everything in front of you. This made Bailey very happy because she usually gets something that falls off my cutting board.
2. Whisk oil, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, garlic, shallot, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in a large bowl. Add tomatoes and gently toss to combine: set aside. Do not marinate tomatoes for longer that 45 minutes.
4. Oh this is where I improvised... about half way through the boiling, I seasoned boneless chicken breasts with Italian seasoning from my spices and cooked in a greased pan for about 3 minutes on each side.
Okay now off to the questions:
Was the recipe easy to follow?
Yes. Definitely. Cook's Illustrated does a really great job with this. They work out all of the kinks and find the absolute BEST way to follow the recipe so that you come out with perfect food each and every time. Wow do I sound like an advertisement or what?!
Did the dish taste good?
Yes. Very very yummy.
Would you ever make it again?
Yes. Especially in the warmer months. It was simple and did not require my oven, which makes my kitchen super hot.
Next week's challenge calls for cheese.
So many ideas!!
Enjoy!
7 comments:
It looks awesome, Julie! I like the chicken addition very much. I bet this will warm up well the next day, too.
This looks super tasty!
This looks like it tastes great. My recipe list is getting really long!
Oh this looks fabulous! I love all the ingredients too. I will definitely give this a try. I'm going to try and get my WIU post tomorrow night.
Mmm, mmm delicious!
ohmygosh this looks so tasty.
That looks almost as delicious as Bailey is cute.
Post a Comment