11.14.2008

Girlfriends WOOT!

Hi All! Aimee of Old Guys Dig Me here. As you all know, Julie is off vacationing and having fun. So in the interim you get me. Sorry. :P

For those of you who read my blog, you might know already that I have a cousin that I really don’t like. In the past I’ve tried to help her because she’s come to me, asking for advice about not having any girlfriends. She’s spent most of her life with the same guy (she’s in her mid 20s and they’ve dated since high school) and she’s pretty much created a life that revolves only around him. I’ve tried to invite her places and introduce her to other women that I thought she would really like. And she’s responded with blowing people off and being generally snotty.

Next month, she’s getting married.

With my new engagement (I know!!!) and the thoughts of her concerns and her upcoming wedding, I’ve really been thinking about how awesome it is to have such a great group of girlfriends. I really am very blessed to know the women that I know, and to be able to call them friends. There were moments in my 20s where I thought, OMG all women are backstabbing bitches (I’m sure we’ve all been there), which makes these friendships all the better.

My local friends and I spend at least two nights a month together. We are involved in book club and bunco. We try to make other times to get together for puppy play dates or tennis or shopping and lunch. Each of my friends is very different and sometimes our personalities really compliment each other, and other times we clash and keep each other honest. These friends would do anything for me and know I would do anything for them.

And then there are the not-so-local friends, some of whom are “blog friends.” The fact that we haven’t spent time together in person (or that time has been very limited) doesn’t diminish the fact that these women are fabulous friends. I received an email yesterday from a blog friend that I haven’t heard from in awhile…she was concerned that she hadn’t been there for me when we were going through Chance’s illness and death. The honesty and the genuine concern made me tear up, and things have just picked up where they left off before.

Some people think that people who meet people online are weird. They think that when you talk about a friend that you know from the internet, you aren’t really talking about a true friend. These people obviously haven’t met the people that I’ve met. I love you guys. Thank you for being such great friends, even though the miles keep us separated. I really like this poem/story, I hope you enjoy it too.

http://www.hugsandsmiles.com/girlfriends/

(Don’t you love how this nice post about friendship started out with bitterness? It’s just SO ME!)

2 comments:

Nicole P. said...

Aww. Right back at ya!

Lindsey said...

Dude, you just made me cry again. Damn you, Aimee!

It's hard to explain to non-bloggers that these friendships we have with other bloggers are actually REAL friendships...they are important! I feel just as close to some of my blog friends as I do to my "real life" friends.

Love you Aimee! Oh, and Julie too, since it is your blog and all... LOL