7.11.2009

Whip It Up: Week 2 Guilty Pleasures

You would think that with a theme like "Guilty Pleasures", it would be easy to find something to make.

Wrong.
I tossed around a hundred million ideas.. okay maybe not that many, but a few. At first I thought, dessert. Definitely dessert. But to tell you the truth, I'm more a salt person than a sweets person. So then I thought... ooh risotto. God I love a good risotto.

Then I talked to my partner in crime, Erin. She made CINNAMON BUNS.
CINNAMON BUNS.
Then I had cinnamon buns in my head for like 4 days.
And I even considered making my own and just telling her it was her fault that we now had the same guilty pleasure.

But then.
Then.
I talked to Tarah. We tossed around all of the ideas that I had in my head.
And somehow.... I got to this one.

Hoisin and Honey Pork Riblets
from epicurious.com

Ingredients

  • 3 1/2 pounds pork of spareribs, halved crosswise, preferably by a butcher, and cut into individual ribs
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon English-style dry mustard
  • 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar

In a kettle of boiling salted water simmer the ribs, covered, for 30 minutes and drain them well. In a large bowl whisk together the honey, the soy sauce, the garlic paste, the hoisin sauce, the mustard, the vinegar, and black pepper to taste, add the ribs, and toss the mixture well, coating the ribs thoroughly. Let the ribs marinate, chilled, for at least 1 hour or overnight.

Remove the ribs from the marinade, arrange them in one layer on the oiled rack of a foil-lined broiler pan, and broil them under a preheated broiler about 4 inches from the heat, basting them with the marinade, for 3 minutes. Turn the ribs with tongs and broil them, basting them with the marinade, for 2 to 3 minutes more, or until they are browned well and glazed. Discard the marinade.


Okay so a few things:
I went to Trader Joe's and could NOT find any ribs that were not already marinaded....And I was too lazy to head down the block to the store... so I bought pork loin and just cut it up. Essentially I had boneless ribs.

Was the recipe easy to follow?: Um yes. I actually wound up marinating the riblets over night because I fell asleep and woke up this morning. Ooops!

Was it good? Um yes. I think that it would be really good with regular bone in ribs. But Tim thought it was really tasty. And it made my whole apartment smell really good.

Would I make it again? Yes. It seems like a really easy dinner. As long as I don't fall asleep and wind up making them for lunch the next day. haha


So there you have it.
Week 2 done.
Don't forget to check out Erin's blog for the Wrap up!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Yum! Those sound delicious. I could really go for some ribs right about now.

Tellie said...

Mmm Yummy! You should try the recipe again with non-boneless ribs. I think the bones add much more flavor :)