11.28.2006

Commuting

I was running like 2 minutes behind this morning. Which sometimes becomes the difference between making the train and having to wait. However, during the past couple of weeks, the train has been running behind. So I could easily leave my house a few minutes behind and not have to run. Today was no different. No need to run. I got there and the station was packed with people. Wonderful. It was filled with the same people I see everyday which meant I didn't miss the train. But it also meant it was going to be crowded. Which it was.

As I got on the crowded train, I noticed that there was a guy, who I see every morning at my stop (he always listens to his Ipod, and I swear that the other day I heard him listening to JT), not getting on the train. He just stood there waiting for the next train. (I do the same thing most evenings on my way home if a train is crowded, because you know after a day of sitting on my ass at work, I really just need a seat on the way home). I thought of turning around and getting off the T. But I didn't. I stood there from my stop through BU, hoping that I would hear the words "This train is now going express, next stop kenmore" coming from the loud speaker. But I didn't. And by the time I got to Hynes, I wanted off.

I waited there at Hynes Convention Center for like 30 seconds and an all new... EMPTY train comes by. And guess who's on it. Ipod guy. He got to sit the whole way, bastard. From now on, I am doing whatever he does because I HATE STANDING ON THE T. So now I am relaxing on a nice empty train reading my Dec issue of Martha Stewart living. Glorious.

Park Street. I get off to switch to the red line. I get on and the automated voice says, "Next Stop Quincy Adams". And no one looks up. No one even stirs. No one cares that the next stop could potentially be the wrong one? Guess not. The real person gets on the PA and says, "The next stop is Charles Street/ MGH". But still no one stirs. There is a lady sitting across from me that is passed out. Seriously sleeping. She doesn't even wake up when we stop in a station. I bet she missed her stop. But who cares, I got off at Kendall and went on my merry way.

And now I am sitting on my ass at work. In my comfy chair.

No comments: