Taken from this morning's edition of the Boston Metro.
"Will your choice in Beer determine your vote?"
Erin Calandriello
Pro Wrestling or College Football? Coors or Budweiser? Wal-Mart or Whole Foods?
Hoping that your consumer choices will reveal how you will vote today, many political groups are using the data advertisers and corporations have been taking advantage of for years.
Metro asked two political science experts whether or not consumer preferences are a credible predictor of voting tendencies. Rogers Smith, a political science professor from the University of Pennsylvania said they are. And Bill Rosenberg a political science professor from Drexel University said they are not.
Are lifestyle choices a valid way of predicting voting habits?
Smith: I think people's lifestyles tend to represent their incomes, their cultural and family backgrounds and their personal tastes. It's not surprising that life characteristics shape their political opinions. I think consumer choice reflects more than it determines political choices.
Rosenburg: It's interesting to think about but I don't know if consumer choice necessarily holds and validity.
Does it predict how you would vote?
Smith: Yes, I think more likely I would go to Starbucks (Democratic Predictor) than Target (Republican predictor).
Rosenburg: Not really, I think it depends, I might be socially liberal and I might be fiscally conservative so then where would I fall? How do you know how I'm going to vote? I think consumer habits reveal if you're politically conservative or politically liberal, not necessarily how you're going to vote.
***********************************************************************************
This is hilarious. I mean i don't care, it could be a pretty good indicator on someones political views. But these "political experts" give the vaguest answers ever.
Here is the kicker:
THE TEST
A) Audi B) Saab
A) College Football B) U.S. Open Tennis
A) Coors Beer B) Budweiser
A) U.S. News and World Report B) TV Guide
If you chose mostly A's you're more likely to vote Republican. If you chose mostly B's, you're more likely to vote Democrat, according to the book , "Applebee's America: How Successful Political, Business and Religious Leaders Connect with the New American Community".
So for your info I chose:
B) Saab
A) College Football
B) Budweiser (but only because I hate Jim Coors)
A) U.S. News and World Report
Clearly I am mixed up.
And I am also a little offended about the choice in reading material..... U.S. News compared to TV GUIDE????? C'mon give me People magazine atleast! :)
Where do you fall?
11.07.2006
Gotta Love It
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Courtesy of Aimee...http://www.playmash.com/
Post a Comment