Friday evening, two of my favorite people are coming into Boston to stay with Tim and I for the weekend.
Get ready for some funny but sappy background info. (Get out while you still can!)
Too late....Here it comes....
I have known Ari since our freshman year of college. We both lived in the same dorm, just one floor apart. I met him very very early on in the semester, and I often saw him roaming around the building. Since my room was on the way to the main staircase to exit/enter the building I would always see him walking down my hallway to get to the stairs, but I could never ever remember his name. The worst was that he would always say hello when he saw me, and I would always feel like an ass because I didn't know the kids name.
Until one night.
It was late December 2001. I was in the lounge on the first floor of the building studying with my friend Ian (who also lived in my dorm) for our American Government final, which was the next day. Ari came down to the lobby to talk to Ian... apparently they were also friends. Who knew. Ari was going to Store 24 and asked Ian if he wanted anything. Rudeness is definitely not Ari's style, so he asked me as well, even though he didn't know me from a hole in the wall (where the hell did that saying originate by the way). Of course since I am needy I obliged and I asked him for a bottle of water... but alas I had no money. Ari generously got it for me anyway. And we have been close friends ever since. Yes, he had to buy my friendship, but hey (!) we are both better people for it.
Well that plus I may of may not have been making out with one of his roommates on a daily basis... so I was bound to catch up again with him somehow.
After break, we quickly became friends. We watched Pardon the Interuption together on ESPN almost everyday. I would even wait for him to get back from Friday night services before I started drinking. Although, I can't say the same thing about another one of his roommates who would drink a whole six pack of Corona before 10pm. We played NBA Jam and he helped me with my taxes. Eating dinner with Ari and his roommates was a nightly occurrence. Even one night when I locked myself out and my ID in my room he used a guest pass for me so that I wouldn't miss dinner.
Ari married his long time lurve Joanna in late July of 2006.
Tim and I had the honor of being in their wedding party and spent one of the best weekends of my life celebrating with their family and friends in Washington DC. The fact that there was open bar practically everyday, may or may not have had something to do with that, but I do love these two people very dearly, and I hope they know that... (well now they do because I know they both read this).
The happy couple now lives in DC, so we don't get to see each other much. But I do talk to Ari everyday. And I send them funny things in the mail from time to time.
Starting today and going till Friday, I am going to share a funny story about Ari and I. Somethings that may or may not have happened while drunk. Somethings that may or may not be embarrassing... you'll just have to come back tomorrow to find out.
Today's story was obviously how we met... because that comes up all the time. The utter fact that he had to buy me something for me to actually remember his name is classic.
Hi Ari!
Hey Dad, Ari's an Orioles Fan.
1.22.2007
lemme tell you 'bout my best friend
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Aw, this makes me miss my old college pals! Don't you wish it was still possible to make friends just by hanging out in the same living space?
This is such a cute story!
Post a Comment