5.09.2007

My True Hometown

You know, Boston may be where I rest my head now-a-days but back in the day (like 1983- 2001) I lived in Crook Brooklyn. I was born and raised there. So Laurel, this is for you.

My Brooklyn, New York

Age: 23
Occupation: Higher Education
I lived there for: 18 years
I lived there because: My great grandfather was one of 4. When they immigrated to America from Italy, 2 of them got off at Ellis Island, they other 2 decided to stay on and sail to Australia. (Hey this is the story my 83 year old grandmother has been telling me for 23 years now so shut up with the laughing). So basically I have tons of cousins in Sydney and Melbourne, and they're the mirror image of my family up here.
My neighborhood: Mill Basin & Breezy Point (Queens)
My favorite restaurant: Brennan and Carr's
If you go to this restaurant, be sure to order: Roast Beef Sandwich with gravy, cheese fries and a cold bud light
My favorite museum: The Brooklyn Museum DUH! We always took our class trips there. I know that the Botanic Gardens is not technically a museum but it's gorgeous and a must see.
My favorite tourist destination: Junior's Cheesecake.
Best insider spot: Lenny & John's Pizzeria on Flatbush Avenue in my neighborhood makes the best slices and calzones on the planet. We always went there after CCD on Sundays for lunch.My favorite area: I have a few. Marine Park, The Promenade, the beaches in breezy point or rockaway.
Best place to go shopping: Montague Street used to be wonderful, but I haven't heard much about it since.
When you visit, don’t forget to pack: your AK 47 because there are some rough areas... KIDDING KIDDING.
The one local cuisine you should try when you’re in town is: L&B Spumoni Gardens. Head there for the best Sicilian Pizza you will ever have. And the Spumoni Ice Cream is t o DIE FOR!!!! Oh and the bagels blah blah :)
The best way to get around: Driving actually or public transportation. Or like Laurel you can get a segway.
If I had to describe this city in one word, it would be: FORGEDDDABOUD IT!
I tell my friends to stay at: My house. Because the only hotels I have ever seen in Brooklyn were SHADY.
The one thing most outsiders don’t know about this city is: There are over 2 million people that live in the borough of Brooklyn alone. Yes. Brooklyn is a borough of NYC. NYC has 5 of them: Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Manhattan. So when you say NYC, you mean the Boroughs not just Manhattan. Although most Brooklynites refer to Manhattan as "the city". What! Wanna fight about it!
They say “Virginia is for lovers.” So fill in the blank: Brooklyn, only the strong survive!


4 comments:

L Sass said...

Best post ever!!!!!

Bagels are awesome, don't knock them.

I cannot wait to go to that spumoni place. I might get lost going so far out into an outer borough, though.

Also, AS's Italian grandparents grew up in Brooklyn, too. You guys are probably related.

L Sass said...

Also, I don't find Brooklyn scary at all... but let's be honest, I mostly hang out in Park Slope / Brooklyn Heights when I am there. Not exactly soooo different the UES.

ps, word verification looks like nip wad.

Anonymous said...

You have family in Sydney? OMG! Come visit them! And me! Before I leave!

Too many exclamation marks!

Janet said...

I need to get to NYC! Thanks for doing these.