6.09.2008

And it's Monday. Again.

First and foremost: Thank you all for your condolences.
I struggled with whether or not to post last week about him because he was truly an amazing man, and I wanted you all to know just how much my family and his community will miss him. But then I figured, why? I already know just how much people loved, admired and adored him.
So I decided to let his obituary do the talking (I erased names for privacy):

E, S.M, MD., of Baldwin, NY, Dr. Teddy Bear for the last 48 years, passed away on Friday, May 30, 2008 at age 77. Beloved husband , Devoted father of three and grandfather to 4. Caring pediatrician who touched many young lives, a pilar of the community, and loyal friend. Dr. E had a long and distinguished career in Baldwin and Rockville Centre, NY and served on the staffs of South Nassau Communities Hospital, Schneider Children's Hospital and Mercy Medical Center, where he served as Chief of Pediatrics. He was Chief School Physician of the Baldwin Public Schools from 1976 to 1994. He will be lovingly missed. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Camp Sunshine*, 35 Acadia Road, Casco, ME 04015.

*This is where Tim and I met. In case you didn't know.

Over 100 people attended his services and followed out to the burial and then came back to the house for Shiva, where we served everyone Proseco in his honor. One of his final wishes while he was in the hospital was "Champagne for all".
So thank you again for your love.

Secondly- Why does it seem like there are only dog posts around here lately?? Let's fix that, shall we.

Third- Has anyone ever wondered how the hell did we ever LIVE without air- conditioning? There's a heatwave going on here in the Northeast. It's about 95 degrees outside and I am not at the beach. Blech. I left the only A/C unit that we have in our apartment on for Bailey today while we're at work because I figured I would rather pay a little more for electricity than have her suffer from heat stroke. Plus it will be nice and cool by the time I get home around 5pm. But back to my question, How the hell did we (as a society) ever live without it? When I asked my friend google, I got a lot of answers, which I will share with you all right now.

Before Air- Conditioning on really Hot Days:

  • Employees left work early.
  • Business shut their doors.
  • Stores and theaters closed down.
  • People fled the cities for mountain and seaside resorts.
  • Evenings were spent out on the porch with friends and neighbors.
  • People slept on refrigerated sheets or wore underwear that had been frozen.

Frozen undies???
No thanks.
Thank you Willis Carrier for inventing A/C!

Edited to Add: Look at this! Just in time for Tim to buy it for me for my bday in Sept! Looks like good thing come to those who wait!!!

11 comments:

L Sass said...

I don't think refrigerated undies are a good idea. There are parts down there that shouldn't be numbed. I'm just saying...

Glad the funeral went so well. Sounds like it truly was a celebration!

Katelin said...

glad to hear the funeral was such a great celebration of your uncle's life :)

ooh and leaving work early because of the heat? yeah i could go for that.

Audrey said...

I'm with Katelin -- I could get behind leaving work early because of the heat!

Glad the funeral went so well.

alyndabear said...

Hugs to you!

Our home (AND office building) has no air conditioning here in London, and I'm hating it. I miss my air con! :(

Bruce said...

Welcome back, hope you are doing ok!

Elise said...

I often wonder how people survived before air-conditioning. Also: THE INTERNET.

Also also? I want the new iPhone.

Slinger said...

my high school was old and did not have AC, so we used to have Heat Advisory days and also Snow Days.

Slinger said...

Oh yeah, and I am with elise...I am all about the new iPhone.

it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

Also, any way you can open up your commetns to allow OpenID users like me in Wordpress?

Michelle and the City said...

i love AC, but the no work thing sounds tempting...

Jenn O'Neil said...

I just went out and bought an AC because of our great Northeast heat wave - it's really sucked the last few days.

I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle (he was your uncle, right?) it does sound like the funeral was a great celebration of his life.

Freezing cold undies....hmmmmmmm

Vanessa said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like such a special man, sure to be missed by all. Also I can NOT live without AC!