8.27.2008

Beatrice Barclay: The London Lookout

As I write this from my bijou flat in the Royal Borough, I am
reflecting on the week that was by sipping a glass of chenin blanc,
waiting for my quiche Loraine to finish cooking so that I could sit
back in a warm bubble bath infused by coconuts and shea butter. But
enough about how I like to de-stress from my very important job, let
me tell you how I am working on completing that list of goals
mentioned last week....

This week, I have seen 103 Range/Land Rovers, 102 Mini Coopers, 79
Mercedes, and 5 BMWs.. The other types of cars such as a Ford Focus or
VW Golf do not matter in this neighborhood. As you can imagine, every
time I see a car that is worth the same amount I spent in two years of
my undergraduate education, my head will do a double take wondering
who is in there and if it is someone from the big list, what will I
do? So far, I estimate that I might have seen three no-name
celebrities. How can I tell? One woman was dressed in fancy clothes,
and was making an effort to look hidden. Last time I checked, it was
really hard not to stick out when you are wearing head to toe Channel.

After leaving the theater the other evening, a few friends and I went
to out for dinner in a section of London that is notorious for
celebrities partying in these clubs. Most of the paparazzi pictures
that you see, come to this area, well except if they are looking for
Amy Winehouse and then they go to the crack house and I don't know
where that is in London. But I digress. As we were walking to a place
to eat dinner, we passed a club where all of the sudden a pack of
paparazzi appeared and started following this woman into the club. I
was not ready for this situation. And really, what should one do when
they are in this situation? Should I stop and stare? I wasnt prepared
to suddenly see flashing bulbs and movie cameras following this
person. Unfortunately the person was not recognizable. I even lacked
the motivation to fight down the 7 foot 3 tall bouncer and find out
who it is. (who thought that the UK had big and tall bouncers). So
noticing the paparazzi, being intimidated by the big bouncers and
still trying to look "cool" I decided I would walk by like I didn't
care....whether I do is up for debate...

XX
Beatrice

No comments: