*** Just to let you all know. I have been under the weather this week, so Bailey and I haven't picked a winning name yet. So keep the entries coming. If you have already entered and you have a new idea... you can enter again. See you next week!
Okay- So this week's theme included using fresh produce from your farmers market.
I got the newest edition of Cook's Country in the mail last week and saw the best recipe for this week. If there is one thing that my farmer's market has plenty of in the summer its BLUEBERRIES.
Now there is nothing more summery and American than a blueberry grunt.
Here's the recipe:
Blueberry Grunt
Serves 12
Do not use frozen blueberries because they will make the filling too watery.
You will need a clean kitchen towel for this recipe.
Filling
8 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamom
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon grated zest and 1 tablespoon juice from lemon
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Topping
3/4 cup buttermilk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooked slightly
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all- purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. For the Filling: Cook 4 cups blueberries, sugar, cinnamon, water and lemon zest in dutch oven over medium- high heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick and jam like, 10-12 minutes. Whisk lemon juice and cornstarch in small bowl, then stir into blueberry mixture. Add remaining blueberries and cook until heated through, about 1 minute; remove pot from heat, cover and keep warm.
2. For the topping: Combine buttermilk, butter and vanilla in measuring cup. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 6 tablespoons sugar in large bowl. Slowly stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until dough forms.
3. Using a small ice cream scoop or 2 large spoons, spoon golf ball sized dumplings on top of warm berry mixture. Wrap lid of Dutch Oven with clean kitchen towel and cover pot. Simmer gently until dumplings have doubled in size and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean 16-22 minutes.
4. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar in small bowl. Remove lid and sprinkle dumplings with cinnamon sugar. Serve immediately.
Oh my god people.
This will make your entire kitchen and in my case apartment smell amazing.
It was a pretty easy recipe to make and it tasted AMAZING!
**I took pictures but then realized that my memory card was not in my camera. Figures.
Enjoy!
8.07.2008
Whip it Up: Blueberry Grunt
Labels:
Whip it Up Recipe Challenge
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
oh that sounds so yummy.
It sounds really rustic and homemade! I love that "grunt" is in the name.
Julie I would perhaps like to be around when you make these things so I can review them on my blog... and also mainly just so I can eat them. We'll be in touch.
MMMM. This sounds amazing!
Hope you are feeling better!
Yet another reason I need a Dutch oven! Hope you're feeling better and tell Bailey to take good care of you.
I've never even HEARD of a grunt... but it involved blueberries and a biscuity topping, so I'm PRETTY sure I could get behind it.
Post a Comment