11.07.2008

Retired Life

My newly retired and empty nested mother has taken upon herself to learn all that she can about how to use a computer. Surprisingly she's not all that horrible. Her job came with a Blackberry and well she knew how to use the hell out of that thing... but now she has no clue what to do on the iMac sitting in my sisters room (while she's away at college). Save me all the BC about how PCs are better... because you won't get very far with me on that one.

Very often, I get calls from her at work. They usually go like this:

"I pushed something and I don't know what happened, but I can't get back to what I was looking at"

"How do I...."

"Why does it..."


And well, you get it.
Every Friday afternoon my sister DJs a radio show on her college station. Of course being the proud mother that she is, she listens to it through iTunes every week.

Yesterday, my mom called while I was looking at funny things on FailBlog. Since I was laughing so hysterically into the phone, she wanted to know what was so funny. So I sent her the link. She had a little trouble figuring it out at first, but soon she was laughing and I was laughing/crying and then before you knew it I had to go to a meeting.

This morning I got the following e-mail from my mom:

"Since I am listening to Jena's show, I revisited the Fail Blog link you sent me and by chance, scrolled down and noticed a million comments under the pictures. I don't understand some of the e-mail language. What's lolspeak? I'm afraid to ask what some of the other abbreviations are".

Oh boy. I knew this day would come.

So, here's where you come in.
I am reaching out to you my fellow bloggers/loyal readers.
Let's make an abbreviation dictionary for my mom.

The only ones that I could remember off the top of my head were:

LOL
LMAO
BRB
TTYL

Yes I am LAME.
I know you all have more.

Please leave your abbreviations in the comments section and I will compile them all into a reference guide blog post.

Now go FORTH and COMMENT!

5 comments:

anno said...

IMHO is about all that's coming to mind.

For an extensive list of acronyms, there's this site:

http://www.netlingo.com/lumenu2.cfm?category=Chat+Acronym

(Acronyms, I can deal with. Embedding a link in a comment... way beyond me. Good luck with your list!)

Sarah S said...

How about OMG, LMFAO, ROTFL, IDK and DH. Oh lord, I'm so embarrassed I know these....

Talina said...

Too funny my mom does the same thing! Oh and MAC rules!!

Drea said...

for some reason the one i had the hardest time remember what it meant was BTW - by the way. There are still so many i have to google or ask friends about myself. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

My favorite coworker emailed me the other day and said "I just texted my mom and said lol. I don't think she knows what lol means. She might be too scared to reply."

And then yesterday she emailed me about her "hs bf" and it took me WAY too long to figure out she meant "high school boyfriend." Am old.

Don't forget BFF, OMG, and, of course, WTF.