6.08.2007

It's still like the 17th Century. Except that everyone has I-Pods.

So. Hard. Getting Up. This Morning.

Last night, I stayed up a little later than I usually do watching the Yankees beat up on the White Sox and I chit chatting away with some DC Yankees fan.

Tim and I have been talking about moving. It started out as just that, talk. But as the weeks have gone by, Tim has slowly realized that the BFD just wasn't interested in hiring him (or several hundred other people). So the thought of moving somewhere else has gotten more and more attractive. I brought up the idea of moving again last night while laying in bed trying to fall asleep.

Me: This time next year I want to be getting ready to move down to DC.
Tim: Yea. I think that's a good idea.
Me: Really?
Tim: Yea. Maybe I need to get on that Montgomery County Fire Dept application then huh?
Me: Maybe you should

*************************************************************************************

Friday mornings, Tim has to be at the bar at 8am. So we get to commute together which is a mixed blessing.

T: I want to try to get on the earlier train today, not the 7:22.
Me: Okay. I've been getting on the one after the 7:22 and still making it on time.
T: We'll see.

7:15- Tim is still walking Bailey. So no 7:15 train.
7:26- We finally leave the apartment.

The stop was really crowded this morning, which is never a good sign.

T: What's up with the T?
Me: What?
T: Why is he pulling into the station at 5mph?
Me: This can't be good.

"ATTENTION PASSENGERS: The next stop on this train will be BU Central. No Stops in Between".

T:
Awesome. Express! I love when it goes express.
Me: Somehow I don't think it's still considered "express" when you're traveling at 5mph down Comm Ave.
T: No shit. And they want to raise the fares, again. Nothing has improved on this system in the last 10 years. And they still want to charge us more. $2 a ride is enough.
Me: This whole city operates like we're still in the 17th Century. Only we have electricity now.
T: And everyone has an I-pod surgically attached to their head.


By the time we got to Hynes, I couldn't take it anymore.
I got off with Tim and said goodbye as he went to work and I patiently waited for the next train to take me the rest of the way.

8:08am- Finally at Park Street. Fuck I'm late.
8:10am- Yes! Redline train waiting for me on the platform!
8:10am- Wait. Why isn't anyone getting on the train?

"This train is running express to Harvard Square".

8:11
- NO!!!!!!!!!!!
8:15- Still waiting at Park St.
8:20- I need a Venti anything, NOW.

Yep.
D.C'.s looking mighty fine this mornin'.

10 comments:

tarah said...

Oh Julie...how I will miss you, let me count the ways...

The only reasons I'm going to allow this are because I really really like DC and there are commuter/express planes between DC and Boston.

Janet said...

yay for moving to DC!!!!!

Dan said...

It's not the MBTA's fault. If they tried to operate at even-expense for a year, fares would be like $7 apiece. They're constantly losing millions each year. If you could convince everyone else in the metro-boston area to raise fares/taxes, the trains might actually run well.

Nicole P. said...

Woohoo for moving!

L Sass said...

The DC Metro is downright luxurious compared to Boston or NYC... but I still think you should come back to New York!!! There are fewer Republicans here.

inowpronounceyou said...

DC will welcome another Yankees fan with open arms. Oh, and that Sox fan can come, too. But the DC Metro? It breaks down quite a bit. But it does run later and after last call...which is rather hip.

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about public transport overseas.. but since I'll be moving to London in six months I'd better start learning.. I'm a spoiled car whore. :)

Lindsey said...

I highly recommend moving to DC for purely selfish reasons. Janet's in DC and I'm in Richmond...that should be reason enough to move!

Rachel said...

What's with everyone wanting to move to DC?

Emily said...

Commuting sucks. In the last year I have moved to a location that it two stoplights from my work. I still drive for two reasons: 1) I'm lazy and 2) I believe that my chances of making it to work alive are less than 50% considering my lightening fast ability to throw up the middle finger and the level of road rage in this city.