6 years.
I dread this day on the calendar each year.
But I will never forget.
That 2.750 people that died when the Twin Towers were destroyed.
That 184 were killed at the Pentagon.
That 40 killed in Shanksville, PA.
I moved into my freshman hall assignment on September 15, 2001.
I drove past a smoldering WTC, over the Whitestone bridge into the Bronx and out of the city, with tears in my eyes and a heavy heart.
Scared to leave.
But even more afraid to return.
In ways, I never did go back.
6 years later, I still mourn.
For those who have died, for those who have lost.
I hope to not always mourn.
But I will never forget.
"Because I remember, I despair. Because I remember, I have the duty to reject despair. "
Elie Wiesel
Elie Wiesel
343
5 comments:
Really beautiful post Julie.
Thank you.
Fantastic post.
I remember my dear friend Sarah who was starting an internship at the Twin Towers that day...
I remember that day so well and always will. In terms of the weather, it was the most beautiful day!!!! It felt so wrong. I was angry that it was so beautiful outside. I was in desperate need of some pathetic fallacy...
On campus, everything was hushed. It was the most eerie day I've ever experienced. Remembering that feeling makes me very anxious. However, it's important to step outside of our own experiences and think og the families who lost loved ones...which is what you've done here. Beautiful post.
I will repeat what I told my friend Starfish- I walked with my son's 3rd grade class on a Freedom Walk on 9/11. The kids all held flags. Then they had a little ceremony with a moment of silence. Kids will be kids and many were playing around in the field. They don't remember. But I am glad they don't. Let them play and have a good day. But I am also glad they continue to do these things (Freedom parade) to teach the kids. I talked to one boy in the parade who was only learning about 9/11 for the first time. I was kind of sad to talk with him about it.
What a wonderful post... for such a sad memory.
[[[HUGS]]]
Post a Comment