10.17.2008

Homecoming.

For three years of my college career, I was the Homecoming chair person on my university's programming board. This usually meant from April through October/November each year I was busy planning, budgeting, committee meeting-ing and navigating the inner-politics of the school. Obviously each year became easier and easier and more and more student groups wanted to get involved. I am pretty sure that I can take most of the credit for taking the Homecoming from a struggling fall program and making it the HUGE deal that it is on campus today.

Okay so maybe I was a little bitter when I was not invited to the banquet where Homecoming won the award for Program of the Year.

But that's not what this post is about.
You're probably asking yourself what the hell are you getting at Julie?
Well I'll tell you.

Homecoming is this week at NU.
So I am a little sentimental. I spent an overwhelming amount of my time planning, preparing and executing everything to the tiniest detail that it feels weird to be here and be so very left out of the loop of what's going on. Sure, I know that most of the weeks events are for current students and I should be fine with that. I did my time. I graduated.

But is it weird that part of me misses it?
The craziness.
The mess.
The aggravation.
The laughs.
The fun.
The memories.

I hate being old.

But the good news is, I am going to the comedian that's coming to campus tonight.
You may have heard of him.
He's kind of a big deal.

3 comments:

anno said...

OK, I would be a little bitter too about not being invited to the banquet where your program won an award.

And, I hope you had a wonderful time at the comedy show tonight.

But... old? Not even close.

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God. Jon Stewart? I'm so totally jealous!

Lindsey said...

There are definitely things I miss about college. I still wish I could go back and run the clubs I used to run. It's hard to feel so much ownership and then all of a sudden have no control. Being old is lame. Booo