4.01.2009

When Did my Life Become an Episode of "I Love Lucy"

April 1st is really just like any other day to me, always has been, always will be.
The last time I can remember playing a prank on someone on April Fools Day was back in Junior High, and even then the memory is fuzzy.

Here is my question for you today:

Is it possible that the Universe can play an April Fool's Joke on someone?


Think about that for a second.

Can the universe, in all its vast wonderful glory pinpoint one person to pick on?
I believe that the answer to that my friends is yes.
For that one person today, is me.

Let's weigh the facts, shall we.
I woke up just as I would any other weekday...... LATE.
Hurried to rush to shower and get ready.
Still very normal.

I entered the kitchen to grab my coat from the closet to take Bailey out for her morning walk.
Upon opening the closet door to grab my coat, I knocked over her water bowl, spilling a considerable amount of water on the floor.
Once again, normal.
I do this at least twice a day.

However, due to the amount of water spilled on the floor, I actually decided to clean it up.
So I stomped over to the paper towels, grabbing one from the newly placed paper towel roll, which I have to say is really too big for my paper towel holder to handle. The over-filled-ness (yes that IS a word thankyouverymuch) of the roll caused the holder to fall over, which then caused the jelly bean holder on my counter to fall over.... spilling hundreds of jelly beans all over my living room floor.

Did you just gasp?
I heard it.

So now picture me trying to get the vacuum out to suck up all of these things while trying to hold Bailey back so that she would not EAT THE GOD DAMN JELLY BEANS BECAUSE HOLY SHIT I CANNOT AFFORD TO TAKE YOU TO THE VET FOR AN INTESTINAL OBSTRUCTION AGAIN THIS CENTURY!!!!

After that fiasco was finished, we went for our walk and then I went to work.
And here I am.

Sitting nicely at my desk.

One of my students just came in to inform me that someone hung a pirate flag from the roof of the building.

Well played universe.
Well played.


********UPDATE**********************

I just got a weird call from Ari's office in DC... (same first extension, different last numbers), I pick up and it's this guy who I have never heard of before.

He tells me he's calling because he needs to put in a request for a facilities issue and then is like rambling on about it for 5 minutes. Mind you its probably the most ridiculous thing I have heard, and remember I work for FACILITIES/RES LIFE at a major university.

Finally I say...

"Do you know Ari?"
'Yes, he's my co-worker".
"Okay, well Happy April Fools, this is really funny... hahaha" (totally sarcastic)
"You think I am playing a joke on you?"
"Aren't you?"
"No I am calling you because I need to put in a work order to fix something... What did you say your name was again"
"Julie"
"I apparently have the wrong number... I apologize"

::Click::

I just got off the phone with Ari. Who is laughing hysterically, but said that it was NOT a planned joke... just a funny coincidence that I happen to work in facilities.

Fuck this.
I'm going home after lunch.

6 comments:

tarah said...

I think your post cemented my decision to buy starburst jelly beans at some point today.

Nicole P. said...

I think water spill + jelly bean spill + pirate flag = time to call it a day and head to the bar. I'll meet you there.

Nicole P. said...

Seriously. Game over. Start drinking. Haha! The phone call is just weird.

Vanessa said...

All I can say is the universe owes you not only a drink, but a bottle of wine by this point.

Aimee said...

that's great! My friend's dad emailed her and told her that he met a woman at a bar and they are getting married and moving to africa.
Sadly, the story was believable until he said Africa. LOL

Randa said...

That was hilarious. Sorry it happened to you but, come on, that was funny.

Hope your day got better!