My friend Michaela is from Nantucket.
When I first met her I thought that was the coolest thing ever. I never knew anyone that actually lived there, heck I've never even been there.
We were the same major in college, so we were together a lot.
We went to class together, we partied together, we went to Red Sox games together... you get the point.
During one of the few summers I spent in class, we had this horrid 8am Respiratory Therapy class that lasted for 3 hours! Three HOURS! Twice a week! Over the summer!
One hot June morning, I noticed that Michaela hadn't shown up. I didn't think much of it because well the class sucked. The room the class was in was sort of like a computer lab so we each got our own computer. Needless to say I (and most of my classmates) spent the entire class on the internet and on AIM Express talking to each other.
That morning, I got an IM from Michaela saying that she was heading to the beach and that she would meet me in front of my apartment in 45 minutes. After some chatting back and forth and wondering how I was just going to go about gathering my things and leave class without the professor saying something, I was convinced. Not a moment later my professor left the lab to run to his office for something. I seized the opportunity, shut off my computer, grabbed all of my stuff and ran out of the building all the way back to my apartment.
At 1015, she was downstairs honking her horn and ready to go.
Since graduation, I haven't hung out with her that much. She's busy with grad school and well you know I'm just lazy. But we see each other occasionally and still chat to catch up.
Today it's supposed to hit 80 degrees here in Boston.
At 9am I got a text message from Michaela
M: "Are you off today?"
Me: " No, why want me to cut out and head to the beach?"
M: " Yes, :). Going to the gym now. Pick you up at 11:30?"
Me: "I can't, I wish I could".
M: "Bummer, call me later".
God I hate being a grown up.
5.08.2007
Being a Grown Up Stinks.
Labels:
Friends,
Getting Old,
Quickie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
What a cute story. :)
I'd like to say that Google Reader sucks because it doesn't tell me that you've updated your blog until HOURS after you posted.
And just tell me what beach, and I'll be there shortly.
Bloody grownup stories... boo!
Beach. I like beaches. Beaches are lovely.
I need a friend that will steal me away to visit a beach. *sniff*
So I work at a University. My office is across the street from one of the residence halls. As I was leaving my office to go to a 10:30 meeting, I saw a group of girls getting into two cars. They all had on bathing suites with cute tops and were toting large bags. They were obviously going to the beach. Bitches.
Aw, I was rooting for you to go! But my work ethic sucks like that.
Post a Comment